In 1945, the Tracy Rural Fire Protection District (TRFPD) is an independent special district and was established to protect the greater Tracy Region, consisting of areas surrounding the Tracy city limits. This encompassed an area of over 26 square miles of residential, commercial, industrial and rural areas, from the Lathrop city limits northeast, down the San Joaquin River to the Stanislaus County line; then to the west up Interstate 580 until the Alameda County line; straight up to the Grant Line canal a few miles north Interstate 205 and then east again along the canal to Lathrop.
Throughout the sixties and seventies, the rural department worked to better equip its personnel and began to emerge as a professional force. Like many departments throughout California, the Tracy Rural Fire Protection District began to utilize such innovations as Self Contained Breathing Apparatus, Hurst rescue tools, and water tenders.
In September 1999, after years of talks, the City of Tracy Fire Department and the Tracy Rural Fire Protection District merged to form the South County Fire Authority through a Joint Power Agreement. The result of this merger improved the service to the citizens that reside within the fire district.
The Tracy Rural Fire Protection District Board of Directors consists of five members who are elected at large.
There are 3 staffed District-owned stations.